Old Republic Title has an excellent opportunity available for a Title Examiner in our Houston, TX office. This position is responsible for the examination of title orders within company guidelines to determine the conditions of the title and insurability by considering the effect of documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, mechanics liens, tax liens, judgments, assessments, probates and other matters of record. Ability to examine residential and/or commercial properties located in the greater Houston Area and surrounding counties.
- Research respective title plant software, analyze and evaluate pertinent record documents for determination of ownership, legal descriptions, and any conjunction to title.
- Ability to explain chain of title, exceptions, and requirements to Escrow Closers and Managers.
- Recognize title defects and formulate curative requirements.
- Assess risks and liabilities that may jeopardize the company, and bring these matters to the attention of the local title manager, state title manager or underwriter, as appropriate.
- Maintain proper production levels and delivery standards on a daily basis.
- Read and interpret recorded maps and surveys, including those with metes and bounds descriptions.
- Review surveys prepared on properties. Answer objection letters, if applicable.
- Work closely with the customer and escrow staff to meet time requirements for options, and assist with answering questions.
- Prepare an accurate and compressive title commitment in accordance with company examining and policy procedures.
- Perform title searches, verifying, reviewing and compiling information including but not limited to, geographic information, property surveys and legal description, title orders, customer information, ownership histories, physical address, etc. which involves the return of a set of documents reflecting the history of a property.
- Ability to work from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Must be personable, positive and a professional representative of the Company.
- Regular consistent attendance is required, that could include attendance at after hour Company events.
- Ability to accept supervision.
- Ability to foster, develop and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships. Must be able to get along with others, i.e., peers, supervisors, outside customers, and vendors.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of management, employees and customers by email, phone and in person.
- Ability to work overtime as requested and approved by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Require thorough knowledge of real estate law, bankruptcies, probate, and divorce laws.
- Ability to run complex legal descriptions.
- Knowledge of examinations and abstract principles.
- Knowledge of Data Trace, Title Data, ORDOCS.
- Must have ability to review and interpret recorded documents, judicial documents, including divorces, probates, guardianships, bankruptcies, tax suits and other actions affecting title, in addition to Tax and District Court suits.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects and solve complex situations.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, and Outlook.
- Mental demands include ability to read and analyze and interpret documents and apply examination/underwriting guidelines.
- Ability to perform under pressure and be flexible with disruptions throughout the workday.
- Must be able to work approved and requested overtime, by supervisor.
- Repetitive and continual typing motion is required.
- 3 - 5 years
The above statements reflect the principal function and most significant duties of the job, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that are inherent in the job.
We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefit package including health, life and disability insurance; paid time off; and retirement plans. To apply, email resume in a pdf format, along with salary requirements to:
Note: If you currently are employed by Old Republic Title (or one of its wholly owned affiliated companies) please contact your human resources representative regarding the application process.